I had to do surgery on a few dolls over the weekend.

First, the stitches holding the hands of my son’s Pikachu doll to its body came loose.  It probably wouldn’t have been a big deal, but we didn’t want him swinging it around by the hand and pull the arm off.  After applying a band-aid to the doll for a few days, I stitched the hand down to hold it in place when they weren’t around.  As far as they know, Pikachu is all healed up.

Not long afterward my daughter came to me with a Yoshi doll that had a hole along one of the seams.  After going online and reading through various sewing forums, I figured out how to sew the seams so that the stitches would be on the inside of the doll.  This allowed me to make a largely unnoticeable repair.

I’m really happy that my children have dolls based on video game characters; they seem to be much more active with these dolls than they are with those based on TV shows.  Of course, the consequence of this is more field repairs from Daddy, but I don’t mind; this is just one more way that games are teaching me new and enjoyable things, like sewing.

In my last two images, I decided to experiment a little with the cell shading potential of DAZ Studio.  Ever since I saw some of Charles Urbach’s work where he illustrated (what appears to be) a cell-shaded character against a realistic background, I’ve been trying to emulate the look.  I have a long way to go before I will be able to make it work, but I figured it couldn’t hurt to play around with the blog images.

Let me know what you think.